A New Year brings new opportunities, and it is the time of year when business owners across the globe set their goals, update their business plans and focus on what they want to get from the coming 12 months. Giving and helping others is one of the most effective new ways to get business, however so few people actually stop to think about setting their specific goals for giving.
Personally speaking, I have set my “Giving Goals” for the last 8 years and I have been overwhelmed with the results. This for me has been one of the most effective ways to bring in new business. Some of the types of giving goals you could set include:
- How many referrals do you want to give to other people in your network this year?
- How many ‘acts of giving’ do you want to participate in? This could be giving advice, mentoring someone for free, helping someone with a problem, speaking free of charge, sending a gift etc.
- How many giving meetings do you want to hold each month? (That is where you meet a new or existing connection in your network and focus 100% of the meeting on how you can help the other person)
- How many handwritten thank-you cards do you want to send out each week or month. Giving gratitude is one of the most effective ways to generate business back in your direction
- How many voluntary hours or days do you want to give this year? Could your business support a local charity this year to raise funds?
- What special skill do you have that you could help others with? How could you share this with the world?
- How many useful articles will you share with other people through your social media outlets this year?
- How many recommendations will you give to others this year?
Take a few minutes to go through this list and think about how you could re-focus your business on giving this year, can make all the difference to your results. I would love to hear from you on the type of giving goals you have set for yourself, and if you have more ideas, please leave a comment and share with others.
Have a fantastic 2017, make this your best year yet!! I will leave you with one of my favourite giving quotes…
“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” Winston Churchill